Monday, January 16, 2006

"By Popular Demand":

Some months ago, I posted the Prologue to a kind-of-in-progress story that I've been writing. Several readers asked for more, and since I had a chance to do some writing over Christmas Break (and don't have much else worth posting), I figured I ought to post the results. This time around, you get the two "competing" prophecies that circulate through the world at the beginning of the story. I say "competing" because, as you will see, the prophecies are fairly contradictory. As before, the draft is quite rough and feedback is appreciated.

Prophecy #1
When the sleeping evil awakes, father will turn against son, mother will turn against daughter, and friend will turn against friend. Families will splinter, and the bonds of friendship will burn in the fires of anger. In those days, fear and hatred will rule, darkness will cover the earth, and hope will fade. But a man will rise to bring courage and light. From the south he will come, from the land of harvest. The thunder will be his herald, and the southern wind his voice. He will comfort the sorrowful, heal the sick, reclaim the lost, and restore hope to the righteous. With compassion in his hand and power in his fist, he will drive back the darkness and crush the Great Evil forever.

Prophecy #2
The Great Evil that was slain shall be reborn. Clothed in the form of man, he will dwell among the innocent for three years. At his coming, terror will cover the earth like a shroud and death will smother the land like smoke. Fire will rain from the heavens, the sky will shatter like glass, and the great waterways of the earth will boil and flow with blood. He will be the harbinger of destiny, and his return will herald the unmaking of all things. The righteous will fall before the wicked; the innocent will bow before the guilty; the light will flee before the darkness; and all creation will tremble before the burning standards of Hell. And Hell itself will be remade after his desires, for none will escape the torments he will bring. Hear the tidings of doom, ye citizens of the world, and despair!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home