Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Hodgepodge

Before we get to the Random Frivolous Stuff, here's a brief report on my recent and upcoming doings:

I spent several days last week volunteering in 5th-grade classrooms at the local elementary school. In this case, "volunteering" meant observing the daily routine and helping out when I could (helping students with assignments, running quick errands for the teachers, etc). While I'm not sure I'd want to do that full-time, I think I could almost enjoy working as a sub. In any case, it was somewhat refreshing to go back to math that involved more numbers than letters.

This week, I'm tackling the opposite end of the elementary-school spectrum by assisting in a kindergarten classroom. The primary advantage of this grade level is that I'm about three times the size of the kiddos, so discipline shouldn't be a problem. But just in case,



I'm working on my Stern face








and my Shut Your Mouth and Sit Down, You Little Runt face.






Well, maybe the kids'll be intimidated, anyway.

When I'm not engaging in facial contortions, I'm finishing up my prep for the CBEST, which I will take this Saturday. After that, I'll have to wait a month or so to get my results, at which point I can start the process to become a sub.

And I think that about does it for the business. In a hopeless and misguided effort to make up for my continuing lack of posts, I've collected a small assortment of online goodies to keep my few remaining readers busy for a while. Enjoy!

***

They may be on to something here: "Internet Access CAPTCHAS"

***

Many of you have probably seen this kind of thing before, but this particular list had several items that I'd never seen before: Great Philosophers Answer: Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?
Some of my favorite new ones: Jacques Derrida, Werner Heisenberg, and Pyrrho the Skeptic

***

This is hilarious: "500 Impressions (in 2 Minutes)"



Brilliant.

***

Worst Analogies Ever Written in a High School Essay. Some of them (like the first one) are actually decent analogies, they're just...unwieldy.

***

For a healthy dose of Awesome, check this one out:



***

Speaking of awesome videos, I give you "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor"...accordion style.



***

And finally, for those of you with fond memories of text-based adventure games and nostalgia for old video games in general, I give you Pong: The Text-Based Game.

Try not to get too excited. ;-)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. You've got "scary teacher that I don't want to mess with" written ALL over your face. No joke.

--Blame Jared

7:35 AM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Personally, I was was quite intimidated and may have to receive counseling.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home