Gah!
It has been two weeks since my last post, and I suppose it's about time I came up with another one.
I remain, I'm sorry to say, unemployed. My inquiries into the possibility of employment at CBU were for naught; while there are positions I could have, none of them are temporary. Since I'd prefer not to keep a job there once school starts (the commute would be a pain), that's out.
Biola has two jobs for which I qualify. The first is a night-shift custodial job. While I wouldn't mind custodial work, I'd rather not have to do it between 10pm and 2am every day. It's also a part-time job, which means no benefits.
The second Biola job is as a "casual employee." What is a casual employee, you ask? I asked the same question, and I learned that a casual employee is essentially a "filler." You agree to work a certain number of hours per day/week, and you are then on-call to fill in for any staff member who's out for a day. If the secretary of the Education Department is sick, you might be the secretary for a day. If the filing clerk in the registrar's office is on vacation, you might fill in for him. While this job certainly provides an attractive amount of flexibility, it seems a bit uncertain for my tastes. It's not unheard of, I learned, for casual employees to go several days at a time without work. And no work means no money.
I sent in an application for the two Biola jobs, but now I'm turning my attention to possibilities in La Mirada (the city in which Biola resides). There are two Barnes & Noble stores within 4 miles of the school, and I've gotten it into my head that it could be interesting (maybe even fun) to work at a bookstore. Other options include grocery stores, fast-food joints, and maybe even a local newspaper or library. I'll be taking some trips down to La Mirada in the coming days to see what I can find, both for employment and for housing. It now seems quite possible that I could be moving out before too long.
Well, there it is. Aside from looking for something productive to do with myself, I've been catching up on reading and trying to re-teach myself what little I once knew about playing a piano. I've also been feeling a bit guilty for not doing more with this blog; I mean, I've got the time, I should come up with an amusing story or dramatic and fantastic rendition of my daily routine, right? Sadly, my heart just hasn't been in it, and that's not a condition that makes for good writing. Should things change, I'll see what I can do. Barring that, I'll keep you updated with what develops in the Hunting of the Job.
Labels: Life update

2 Comments:
Searching for a job is, quite possibly, the most unfun thing ever. I hope you don't have to put up with it for much longer.
What sort of reading have you been catching up on?
Oh, poo. Got distracted by a patron and posted the above prematurely.
--Blame Jared
Post a Comment
<< Home