Friday, January 26, 2007

Downsizing

In a surprising turn of events (to me, at least), I am currently unemployed.

RTB is going through some major and far-reaching reorganization, and as part of that, the editorial department is hiring an administrative assistant who will free two of the other editors from their administrative (and therefore not-editorial) duties, allowing said editors to cover the work that I would otherwise do. Thus, in the interest of not unbalancing the budget, the position I held was eliminated. So I wasn't really fired, I just found myself filling a role that no longer existed. This decision was made on Wednesday, I found out this morning, and this afternoon I cleaned out my desk.

I'm disappointed, to be sure, and certainly surprised, but I knew from the get-go that RTB, as a small non-profit organization, was never rolling in money. The changes are in the best interest of the company, and I bear them no ill will. They made it very clear that they were not happy about letting me go and they appreciated my work there. After all, it's not like they couldn't have used me; they just couldn't justify the expense of paying me.

This development leaves me in something of a pickle. I'm not in desperate trouble (since I'm living at home with my folks), but there is the small matter of grad school looming on the horizon. I've got some ideas for jobs, and I'll be spending the coming days looking into them. At this point, the top two schemes involve (1) getting a temporary full-time job at CBU (where I worked the past two summers) until I head off to grad school; and (2) finding a job at or near Biola itself, and moving to La Mirada somewhat earlier than I previously intended.

I'll be sure to keep you all in the proverbial loop, and I would appreciate your prayers for wisdom and success in finding the best situation.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's terrible. You didn't get any notice at all?

7:40 AM  
Blogger Martinez said...

Nope. I did get double severance pay, though (four weeks' pay instead of two).

12:24 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Aw Martinez...that is not happy news.

Will be praying. God bless.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

Already praying, Adam. God's working, to be sure. We just don't understand how or why sometimes. Be sure to keep me updated.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you too, Martinez. That's an unpleasant thing to happen to anyone, especially someone as pleasant as you.

1:15 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Aye aye. I can't wait to find out what God has in store for you next (because it has to be good!)

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, perhaps it is just God's way of moving you to an even better job! Four weeks pay isn't a bad deal. Think of it as a month of paid vacation!

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home