Processing... [Revised]
*sigh*
I had an interview and test at Biola last Thursday. The interview seemed to go fairly well, and the test was pretty easy (though an unexpected format). There were about 8 other applicants testing at the same time, and we were told we'd be notified "within 2 or 3 weeks" of whether we're chosen to go on to the next phase of application.
The problem with working at Biola, at this point, is that all the jobs I could do are part-time, and part-time employees don't get benefits. But all employees (including part-timers) have to have health insurance, whether through Biola or otherwise. So that's inconvenient.
I've also turned in an application at the Barnes & Noble, though I was told they probably won't start hiring until mid-March, when business picks up a bit. And while B&N offers full benefits to part-time workers (which is good), the starting wage is about $8 (which is bad). I suppose it's possible that I could work part-time at Biola for the money and part-time at B&N for the benefits and enjoyment, but that would be a hassle. And I still need a place to live; I did manage to get a list of available roommate-seekers and available apartments.
I'll be leading my young-adult study group this Friday in a discussion of the nature of faith. I have also...taken steps to preserve and develop my academic and intellectual muscles.
More updates as they become warranted.
*Oops...forgot to include this*
Also, because Jared was curious, here's a list of some of my recent reading (since I was laid off):
Completed
* 3 Discworld novels: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, and Mort
* The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (because Discworld put me in that kind of mood)
* Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
In Progress
* Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview
* How To Think About the Great Ideas
Labels: Life update

7 Comments:
Ah, jolly good. And did you enjoy the third item on the "completed" list?
--Blame Jared
Very much.
I had heard it described as "Harry Potter for adults," but I was still a bit surprised at how well that description fit. Except that I don't like the implication that HP is in some way unsuitable for adults; perhaps "Harry Potter's Victorian cousin" would suit it better...
In any case, the resemblance was certainly a good sign.
OOh, good choice in the Discworld books! ;) Mort is hilarious. Of course, it's hard beating Rincewind. ;) Dude, how are you liking "How to think about the great ideas"? I've still been tempted to pick that one up every time I see it.
Argh...I WILL call you soon. I WILL find time! This semester is vaguely disturbing, and frustrating. ;) Wow, didn't know(because I'm a jerk) that you were in a young-adult study group, let alone leading it. Very cool Adam. Sounds pretty fun. prayin' for ya' man, Godspeed Adam.
aw poo...forgot to sign....
--Doug
JS&MN is Regency, not Victorian.
/nitpick
Anyway, extremely good choice of reading material, sir. And I hope some unforeseen employment opportunity presents itself soon ... but I also hope you enjoy your freedom in the meantime. :-)
Well, "Harry Potter's Victorian cousin" could still be more suitable than "Harry Potter for adults," even if it's not as accurate as "What Harry Potter might look like if it were set in the Regency Period and featured two adult magicians who never use wands instead of a horde of teenage wizards who use a mind-boggling assortment of wands, potions, and other magical paraphernalia."
/feigned indignation
You'll have to excuse my sense of humor (to say nothing of my historical ignorance); it tends to run amok if I'm not careful.
Excellent! Specificity always makes our writing stronger, don't you think?
Post a Comment
<< Home