Tuesday, August 17, 2004

"Mending" My Mending Ways [UPDATED [again]]

First things first: there's a new link over there under the "Other Crazy People" label (that's the one written in German). Yes, my title for it is a horrible, horrible pun that has nothing to do with the content of the blog. You're welcome. :p
The blog itself is definitely worth your while: if you aren't already reading it, you should be. Go on, git. It's ok, I'll wait. *whistles nonchalantly*

Back? See, wasn't that fun?

Now for the business:

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to retire from the Grammar Gestapo.

Ironically, this decision is largely due to some discussions we've had in my lingusitics class. As I believe I've mentioned before, the various dialects of English have no intrinsic value. Each is perfectly good for its own societal niche. Some linguists have actually posed the following: "Dialects are not deviations from a language; rather, a language is a conglomeration of dialects."

I'm not sure I've said this before, but arrogance is one of the few character traits I cannot stand (no details here; that's another topic). Well, it's pretty arrogant of me to presume that anyone really cares what I think of queemy speech style, and to believe that I have some kind of authority to correct queem in queemy day-to-day conversations.

Not only that, but it's pretty much impossible to prevent changes in a language. It just happens, and no amount of hard-headedness on my part can alter that.

For these reasons, I'm going to try to curb my formerly-rampant verbal nit-picking and cut the world some slack.

However, I'll still be more than happy to edit some papers, and I'll be just as strict as I always have been. For that matter, don't be too surprised if I throw out some corrections on blogs. In the arena of writing, there are still firmly-established rules and conventions to be followed (for now, at least).

I haven't quite worked out all the details of this plan of self-reformation (i.e., just how lenient will I be), but expect to see me squirming more and nagging less, or at least trying to.

I guess you could say that I'm retiring from the Grammar Gestapo to join the Grammar Guard. Or something...

ADDED 8/19/04
Despite my newfound, grudging respect for alternative dialects, I still hope to continue using Standard American English, or at least something close to it. If any of you ever catch me slipping up, please don't hesitate to point it out.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grammar Abwehr?

-- Wilson

8:52 PM  
Blogger Martinez said...

No, "Grammar Guard" was pretty much what I meant. Alliteration, ya know.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Vengeful Cynic said...

Syntactical Security Squadron?

I must admit that I appreciate having a bona fide member of the Grammar Gestapo about. We already have quite a few members of the Grammar Guard, and you are/were fairly unique in the quality and perceptiveness of your corrections. The Grammar Gestapo will be missed at SC functions.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Martinez said...

"The Grammar Gestapo will be missed at SC functions."

Hmmm...

I must admit, it never occurred to me that y'all might "enjoy" my "services." I suppose we could have a vote determine whether I actually retire or not...

*shrugs* If you care, I guess you can vote.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for the GG to stay fierce.

Wilson

10:43 PM  
Blogger Vengeful Cynic said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

Thanks for the link mention. Really, you guys are all so sweet!

Hmmm, there is one little matter: "....the title is a horrible, horrible pun...."
Well, ok, it was a bit punnish. But, when you're old, you can get away with all kinds of stuff. It's great, really.
At the risk of sounding "Wilsonesque," let me draw your attention to the following bit of historical data:

WordNet Dictionary
Noun 1. Ioway - a member of the Siouan people formerly living in Iowa and Minnesota and Missouri
Synonyms: Iowa
2. Ioway - a dialect of the Chiwere language spoken by the Iowa people
Synonyms: Iowa

That second "horrible" still rankles, just a leeee-tle
bit. I guess you KNOW this puts you on "Probationary Will Status."

6:38 PM  
Blogger Martinez said...

*is utterly confused*
*rereads*
*falls out of chair laughing*
*wipes eyes*

My dear Ma Hoyt... I was referring to my title for your blog ("The Way of Jupiter's Moon"), which plays on "Io-way."

Actually, I thought your title was quite clever...I didn't realize "Ioway" was an actual word.

I still think it's clever, and I apologize for any hard feelings I may have caused *prostrates self*.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Ma Hoyt said...

My dear Martinez, it is all so very clear now. (and I feel so very dumb)

I was never, ever upset, just having a little fun.

After reading your post I did look for something in German but failed to see it. Upon closer inspection this morning (taking off glasses and putting face two inches from screen) I did espy it.

Your only problem is that I did not read carefully and am not half so clever as all you collegiate types.

So, no more prostrations are necessary. Donations of chocolate, however, will be accepted.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Sharpton: The Knight's Disciple said...

I too vote that the Grammar Gestapo stays around. It was an integral part of our gatherings.
And what with my being a member of the LeTourneau S.S., you won't be the only one around in that elite division.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote for you to continue to defend the rules of English. "Evolving a language" is no excuse for lingual molestation.

--Randy

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking as the English major (literature concentration) . . . Well, I'M not gonna be able to do the GG thing.

Keep it up, sez I!

--Blame Jared

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home