Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Preparations for Departure

This Sunday evening, I will leave with some 13 other folks for a 2-week mission trip to Peru. We'll be doing some construction projects, distributing money and gifts, and building relationships with fellow believers. Oh, and toward the end of the trip we're going to do some sightseeing at Machu Picchu. All in all, I'm looking forward to it. I've spent some time brushing up on my Spanish a little, and at the request of the team leaders I've been teaching myself to play the recorder for the past week.

Prayers for a safe, enjoyable, and productive trip are greatly appreciated.

But fear not, dear reader, you will not be without reading material while I am away (stop laughing).

I must warn you, however, that the site to which I am about to direct you can be...addictive.

With that warning in mind, I give you: TV Tropes. The home page explains the purpose. What it doesn't mention is that each trope in the wiki has scores of examples, many of which are entertaining to read. And, as the link in the previous paragraph notes, it's very easy to get stuck in a spiraling vortex of hyperlinks if you're not careful.

Some of my favorites:

Y'know how one ninja is a deadly threat, but a swarm of ninjas is cannon fodder? Yeah, there's a trope for that.

This one is the friend of Flynnian duelists everywhere. Speaking of which...

Many games succumb to this trope. It's particularly annoying when said game is a sequel.

Tactical thinking, often combined with brute force.

Snobbish language is fun!

I often feel a certain visceral glee when this happens.

A common trope, but amusing when done well.

And finally, a phrase/concept that could fit into just about any vocabulary.

Have fun!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharpton: The Knight's Disciple said...

That site is indeed great fun, and greatly addictive. I love it.

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, it's a good thing you gave me that warning about addictiveness. Or I would have been in tr

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home