Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Brilliant Satire with a Chewy Center of Social Commentary

...and a coating of vulgarity. But first, an update.

I know the whole "Martinez is too busy to post" shtick is beyond old, but that doesn't make it any less true. In this case, I've spent the past weeks moving from (1) a detailed analysis of the Gospel of John to (2) cramming for an NT Survey exam to (3) writing a research paper on the angelology of C. S. Lewis's "Space Trilogy." Now I get to work on (4) a detailed analysis of Acts, (5) the revision and improvement of the aforementioned research paper, (6) cramming for the next NT Survey exam, and (7) trying to tie the threads of Metaphysics together in preparation for the midterm. Oh, and lots and lots of reading in there, too. Round Two begins later.

On the positive side, I get Easter Week off, so I should be able to make some good headway then. And now that I'm getting more than 3.5 hours of sleep each night, I'm finally starting to shake off the cold that's been plaguing me for weeks.

So, now that that's out of the way, I'd like to pass along an interesting video that my brother shared with me. I might comment a bit on it, as well.

WARNING: The video linked below contains a veritable landslide of profanity (ranging from the s-, f-, and n-words to the m-f and g-d constructions) and some suggestive images. If you are readily offended by such material, do not follow the link. If your family/friends/co-workers/quilting group are readily offended by such material, do not watch the video in their presence. You have been warned.

Of course, most of you realize (I hope) that I'm not one to encourage profanity for profanity's sake. But sometimes one has to adapt one's message to a particular medium in order to be effective. With that in mind, if you can tolerate some "offensive" material in the name of biting satire and social commentary with claws, then click away:

Read a Book

I'm not a big rap fan, but I've heard enough of it to recognize this as a mighty fine parody. And to accusations of racism, I respond: Nowhere in the content of the song is there any reference to race. If the cartoons seem to portray particular racial stereotypes, it's probably because they represent the typical audience of such music (and that's part of good satire; matching the styles of the subject). In short, a series of worthwhile messages for everyone, despite the crass language.

Oh, and he gets major bonus points for using Beethoven as his musical foundation.

And finally, to close with something less controversial: If you haven't already seen this, prepare to be astounded (if you have seen it, enjoy it again):
Go, Wayne Grudem!
Awesome.

As always, commentary is appreciated and encouraged.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Paige said...

That music video was...um...special. That's about all I can muster over that one. :p

I'd seen and liked the Wayne Grudem one, though! :)

Yay for an Adam post! Have you noticed I've been posting more faithfully?? (Please lie and say yes! ;)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Martinez said...

Yeah, I think "special" is a good word for it. The word fits in more ways than one.

For that matter, the Grudem video is pretty "special" too, though in a different way.

(And no need for me to lie; I have indeed noticed the increased frequency of your posting. In fact, I think I'll wander over right now and see what you've been up to...)

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home