Picture This
Happiness is, of course, a function of relationships, personal fulfillment, and many other intangibles. However, small collections of material goods don't hurt.
I got a rather nice toy for a graduation present. I'm no photographer yet, but I've spent some time acquainting myself with the camera and doing a little practice. And you, my poor...er, lucky readers, get to witness the results. (I'm afraid I don't know how to do a "below-the-fold" trick, so this might take a while to load if you've got a slow connection.)
First, some Random Scenery:

Next, some photos taken at Diamond Valley Lake, a rather nice reservoir/recreational locale out in the So-Cal desert. Unfortunately, I can't post the panoramic videos I took (did I mention it's a rather nice toy?), but hopefully you'll like the photos.
The Lake

One of the dams that keeps The Lake together.

A pier ("Sven...Ja, Olie?...")

A friendly warning. I'm sorry to say we didn't see any rattlers, though.

A "mini lake" next to a water-treatment facility.

Stairs going up one of the dams

See? They really are stairs

One of our small, slithery friends.

Another. Pretty cute, eh?

And now, an experiment involving a truck, a parking lot, and a digital camera with 57x zoom:
Unzoomed:

10x optical zoom (the optical limit for this camera):

Full Zoom!

And finally:
More happiness came when I got two brand-new bookcases in which to stash my ever-growing collection of books.
These two are my old bookshelves; I've had them for several years.

New Bookshelf #1:

New Bookshelf #2:

I call this shelf "The Queue": as you might suspect, it's my immediate lineup of books-to-read:

Notable titles: The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester, The Once and Future King by T.H. White (a nearly-new hardcover acquired for $7 at Borders), Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton, The Partner by John Grisham, and Ovid's Metamorphoses.
(Incidentally, uploading photos with Blogger is a bit of a pain. If you enjoyed today's slide-show, I'll be happy to repeat it as I get worthwhile photos. Otherwise, let me know, and I'll save myself some effort.)

5 Comments:
I, for one, greatly approve of the pictures and desire to see more of them in the future. I am told that Picasa is far easier to utilize than the Blogger picture system insofar as this is concerned.
Oh... and if you ever want a really handy system, you could always come over to shadowcouncil.org. (hint, hint)
Bravo Martinez, for taking pictures AND posting them!
Getting a digital camera is a life-altering experience and--no matter what my husband says--changes your life for the better.
How did you get more than 4 pictures on at once? Picasa only lets me do 4 at a time....so while it may be quicker, I do wonder at its flexibility.
Or, maybe I am just technologically impaired.
At any rate, welcome to the world of picture blogging :-)
Thanks for sharing part of your life through pictures. Enjoy the camera :)
Nice try, Cynic; very subtle. ;-)
Ma: Blogger only lets you upload 5 pictures at a time, but the trick is in those last three words: "at a time." I'm not sure how Picasa works, but with Blogger you can simply use the "Add Photos" function as many times as it takes to get all the pictures you want.
Sweet pictures. Carry on, I say!
Post a Comment
<< Home