Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Strength in Numbers

Despite my workload, it looks like I might get two blog posts up this week. I know this because the second one is already written and awaiting only polishing and publishing. Look for it on Thursday (I hope).

A story is told about a young boy and his father who came across a very large tree branch blocking a forest path. The boy boasted, "I bet I can move that branch." His dad answered, "I`m sure you can, but you'll have to use all your strength." So the boy tackled the task with enthusiasm; but after struggling and straining he was only able to move it a few inches. Exhausted, he concluded, "Dad, I guess we were wrong. I can't move the branch."

His dad said, "I'm not so sure. Try again, but this time use all your strength." So the boy tried again, but to no avail. In frustration, he turned to his father and said, "Dad, I can't do it by myself. I need help."

"That's all you had to say, son. I am part of your strength." And together, they moved the branch.

You might say that this story is trite and simplistic. Perhaps so. But the message is still true and important: there are many situations that we can't deal with alone. Of course, Christians believe that they can always turn to God for comfort and strength, and I'm not saying that's not sufficient. But sometimes it's nice to have a physical person who's easier to relate with. Friends are important and friendship is a powerful force. Sure, some people manage to get by without meaningful (not necessarily romantic) relationships, but they never seem to be as happy as those who do have relationships.

And they have more trouble navigating life's forests.

To my friends out there: I know I'm not always (if ever) as good a friend as I could be, and the only excuse I have is that I am human (and therefore flawed). I deeply appreciate your friendship, and I continually strive to be worthy of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home