Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Music, to My Ears [*updated*]

So, I'm trying to settle into a One-Post-Per-Week routine; that is, I'll try to make one substantive or entertaining post each week (not counting WoW). Most posts will probably come on Wednesday or Thursday, but there's always the chance that something will come up or I'll think of something extra and do more than one post.

*(The Internet doesn't hate me anymore! Yay!)*

I love classical music. I really do. I enjoy many other kinds of music, too: jazz, bluegrass, techno, and even oldies. But classical music is my first and truest auditory love.

I am particularly fond of what I call "dark" music (I've also heard them called "anthems"). Music in minor keys. Pieces like Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries," Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain," and Bach's "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor." Songs that alternately stir and chill the blood; songs that ring with grandeur and majesty; songs that, when I listen to them, make me shudder and say "Wow."

I have two playlists devoted to such "grand" music. The longer one (about 150 songs) is for "anthems" in general. The shorter (about 17 songs) is devoted primarily to songs with lyrics (mostly in Latin). I present to you the shorter list, just to give you an idea of the kind of music I listen to when I need a "rush." Songs are presented in the following format:
Composer: "Piece," Larger Work (further description as needed)

1) Nobuo Uematsu: "Liberi Fatali," Final Fantasy VIII (lyrics; video game soundtrack)
2) Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: "Dies Irae," Requiem Mass (lyrics)
3) Carl Orff: "Fortune Plango Vulnera," Carmina Burana (lyrics)
4) Yoko Kanno: "Dance of Curse," Visions of Escaflowne soundtrack (lyrics) (yea, it's from an anime, but this song is awesome!)
5) Carl Orff: "O Fortuna," Carmina Burana (lyrics)
6) [Unknown song 1] (lyrics)
7) Jerry Goldsmith: "The Fire Dragon," The 13th Warrior soundtrack
8) Nobuo Uematsu: "One Winged Angel," Final Fantasy VII (lyrics; video game soundtrack)
9) Carl Orff: "Estuans Interius," Carmina Burana (lyrics)
10) Carl Orff: "Circa Mea Pectora," Carmina Burana (lyrics)
11) Mozart: "Confutatis," Requiem Mass (lyrics)
12) Giuseppe Verdi: "Dies Irae," Requiem Mass (lyrics)
13) [Unknown song 2] (lyrics)
14) J. S. Bach: "Toccata and Fugue in D minor"
15) J. S. Bach: "Fugue in G minor"
16) [Unknown song 3] (lyrics)
*17) Yoko Kanno: "Epistle,"
Visions of Escaflowne soundtrack (lyrics)*

Other pieces of note:
*Most of the songs from the The 13th Warrior soundtrack
* Most of the works of Midnight Syndicate
* Various organ works by J. S. Bach
* Copland, "Fanfare for the Common Man"
* Britten, "The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra"
*
Bizet, "Farandole #2"
* Handel, "Fireworks Music"
* Holst, "Mars: Bringer of War" from The Planets
* and many, many others

For any music lovers who are interested^, "concerts" could probably be arranged.

^and geographically local or willing to spend lots of money to get that way

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I would be interested... but I'm sure you had Texas people in mind.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Martinez said...

I'm afraid so, Sharon. For the cost it would take to get me to Iowa or you out here, you could buy the music yourself.

But maybe there is another option: if I turn the volume up REALLY LOUD...

*spends weeks in hospital getting new eardrums installed*

10:23 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Don't hurt yourself. I only wondered if you had an Internet-based concert in mind. Besides, this week I came across a super deal on a 10-CD Bach Sacred Music collection.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Martinez said...

Sweet! I'm a bit jealous, though: 10 CDs...*drools*

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home