Sunday, October 10, 2004

Table Talk

Last night (Saturday), several of my friends orchestrated a little something special for dinnertime. I, being the antisocial scrooge that I am, didn't participate in the party. But I didn't intend my lack of participation to be insulting to anyone involved.

Thus, in order that those of you who organized the party don't feel hurt, I'm going to be very frank about why I didn't participate.

First of all, the first I heard about the event was a brief (about 2-minute) announcement on Friday night. What I heard amounted to "We've got a tablecloth and some decorations, so dress up a little. Show up at 5:30."

Now, to my mind, "dress up a little" means "no T-shirts, and pants would be better than shorts." Well, I generally consider my Hawaiian shirts to be a notch or two above T-shirts, and it's a rare occasion that makes me wear pants instead of shorts.

I guess I should have paid more attention. Had I known just how serious the ladies were about their project, I probably would have really dressed up (slacks, tie, coat). That said, when I arrived at Saga and saw a little corner of the Ritz's dining room (it was very impressive) and my friends decked out in full dress duds, I decided my casual attire was not appropriate for that setting. I didn't want to spoil the ambiance of the table, you see. My friends were gracious enough to invite me over anyway, for which I am touched and appreciative.

I applaud the ladies responsible for the effort they put into the project, and I apologize for being a party-pooper. In the future, I'll try to be more cooperative.

1 Comments:

Blogger anna said...

I, in turn, apologize for not making things clearer. and I wasn't insulted, just disappointed.

Thanks for joining us at the end. I would have been insulted if you had not.

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home