Grad School, Part 3
I may have fallen victim to all the old communication-preventing traps (school, work, laziness, etc.), but that doesn't mean I've forgotten about this blog or the people who (I hope) read the posts that eventually find their way here.
As promised, here's a somewhat more thorough account of what this semester has in store for me:
Philosophy of Religion: Probably more accurately called "Philosophy of Christianity," this course involves studying the philosophical foundations of Christian theology. This has already proven to be one of the most challenging classes I've had, because it draws from a lot of other branches of philosophy. For example, you can't study the nature of God's eternity without an understanding of the philosophy of time, which is itself complex and perhaps hopelessly theoretical. (How can we tell whether or not the past exists in the same way that the present does?) Another example: Consider the question "Is God a necessary being?" Did you know there are at least five different kinds of necessity, and thus five different ways to take that question? I never imagined I'd put a modal logic textbook on my birthday list, but there it is.
So not only am I learning about a new branch of philosophy, I'm learning about a higher-level branch that relies on branches I have yet to study. Nobody said grad school would be easy. (And if anyone ever does tell you that, he's either lying or drunk. Maybe both.) Yea and verily, good times lie ahead.
Old Testament Survey: I've always liked Bible-surveying classes, and this class should be no exception. You probably know this, but the OT is not for the faint of heart. And if you've recently eaten, you might want to avoid Deuteronomy 28, especially verses 52-57. On the other hand, this is what Jesus had for His Scripture. What's more, the New Testament really only makes sense in light of the Old, and I am amazed that some Christians think there's no value in studying it. [/soapbox]
Theological Research Methodologies: "Turabian 101." How to do research, cite sources, and compose a paper that very few people are likely to find interesting. No, I'm not bitter. Why do you ask?
Seriously though, I'd never used Turabian before I started at Talbot, so it'll be nice to have some guided practice. It's just too bad none of the papers I already have to write will qualify for double-duty.
The Theology and Philosophy of Science: What constitutes a good explanation? What must an explanation do to be a scientific explanation? What separates "good" science from "bad" science, if anything? Can science point toward "nonscientific" explanations? Is science the best source of knowledge? Is there really that big a difference between science and theology? These questions and many more will be explored, pondered, and rehashed over the semester. Good stuff.
Workload for the semester: 7 papers (varying lengths), 3 tests, 4 quizzes, and enough reading to drive your eyes from their sockets. As always, prayers for sanity and endurance are much appreciated.
Apart from school, life continues as before. I've started to get subbing jobs again, which is a good thing. School and work leave little time for social activities; I normally don't mind this too much, but more and more often I miss the close comradeship of the college years. Mind-warping study material is always a little easier to handle with friends, and being a commuter makes it hard to connect with classmates outside of class. I'm trying to be better about keeping in touch with people, but you all know how well that tends to work out. So to you, my friends, I say this: Know that even if I fail to post to the blog or drop you a personal email from time to time, I still think of you and pray for you regularly.
Until next time, may your days and doings be blessed.
Labels: Life update

1 Comments:
Wow. Hefty class list, but some excellent looking material.
I'm a bit jealous, except for the whole papers, test, and quizzes part. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home