Friday, September 15, 2006

"Former Student Finally Starts Book"

Rialto, CA -- After owning a copy of the book for almost a year, one-time undergraduate student Adam "Martinez" Martinez has finally started reading G. K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy this week, sources say.

"I had heard a lot of good things about the book, so I picked up a copy last Christmas," Martinez said. "I meant to read it right away, but I had to go back to school for the Spring semester and I didn't have the time. Since then, it's just been one thing after another getting in the way."

Martinez blames homework, socializing, a new job, and "a veritable barrage of other books" for his ridiculous tardiness in reading Orthodoxy. He says that, despite the setbacks, he's glad to be starting it at last.

"It's a remarkable book, and I can already tell I'm going to have to read it several times. Chesterton sets out many ideas that are, at least at first glance, mind-blowing. But his gift for analogy and imagery is astounding, and the first few chapters have got me thinking about all kinds of things in new ways."

Martinez cites Chesterton's comparisons of sanity/madness with imagination/reason as an example of new and provocative ideas. He looks forward to finishing the book and says he expects to get "lots of writing ideas" from it. He says the hardest part is organizing the book's arguments and identifying the most important and interesting points.

"I have to keep reminding myself that if I underline the entire book, it doesn't do me any good."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Wonderful news! And wonderfully written, as always.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home