The Cross-Road Comes Full Circle
I was going to write about how Easter is the foundation of the Christian religion. I was going to write about how Easter is the reason we celebrate Christmas. I was going to be eloquent, poetic, hauntingly beautiful. But then I realized that all that has been done before, and better than I ever could.
One of the great things about songs is that they can speak to both our emotional and our rational sides. Music has the power to touch our emotions in powerful ways, and well-written lyrics can speak volumes of truth and reason.
The songs that follow might not be the greatest songs ever written, but they are some of my favorites. As you read the words to the familiar songs, think of the beautiful music and ponder the meanings of the words. Contemplate God's sacrifice and His love for you.
***
Hark! The herald angels sing: "Glory to the newborn King! Peace on earth, and mercy mild; God and sinners reconciled."
For unto us a child is born; unto us a Son is given. And the government shall be upon His shoulders, and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace.
This, this is Christ the King, whom shepherds guard and angels sing. Haste, haste to bring him laud, the babe, the Son of Mary.
Noel, noel, noel, noel, born is the King of Israel!
O come, let us adore Him, Christ the Lord!
Gloria in excelsis Deo!
...
...
When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride.
He was despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief.
Surely He hath borne our griefs and carried our sorrows. He was wounded for our trangressions; He was wounded for our iniquities.
And with His stripes, we are healed.
...
Then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."
Christ the Lord is risen today! Allelujah!
O Death, where is thy sting? O Grave, where is thy victory?
Hallelujah! For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth! The kingdom of this world is become the kingdom of our Lord and of His Christ; and He shall reign forever and ever, Amen!
Worthy is the Lamb, that was slain and hath delivered us to God by His blood, to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honor, and glory, and blessing. Amen!
Labels: Holiday specials

1 Comments:
Thank you very much for taking the time to compile this, Martinez!
I admire your new design and always enjoy your posts.
Post a Comment
<< Home