Taking the Plunge
Some decisions are relatively minor, while others change our lives forever. This is definitely one of the latter. I haven't said anything about it until now because, frankly, I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up (my own included).
Several of my friends took this step when they graduated from college, and some didn't even wait that long. Sure, there were a few holdouts, but our numbers have continued to dwindle as the years have passed.
And as I've watched my friends move into this new stage of their lives, I've thought to myself, "I'm not getting any younger, y'know." But I always had excuses for why I didn't do it: School was frantic, working took so much time, etc. ad nauseum. Maybe this just wasn't for me. I mean, Jesus didn't do it (despite certain radical claims to the contrary); would it really be so bad if I didn't, either? Why should I go along with the crowd?
But I was deluding myself. In my heart, I always knew that someday my time would come. The excuses would no longer be sufficient.
And so, dear friends, it is with a mixture of apprehension and excitement that I announce:
I'm getting a Facebook account.
Now, before you get too excited, realize that it'll take me some time to get things in order. But I will eventually get around to...what's the word? "Friending"? "Inviting"? Something like that. If you'd like to expedite the process, feel free to come after me (but note that I'll be using a Hotmail account, at least for now). As I enter this new stage of my journey, I look forward to sharing it with you.
Also, I will continue to update this blog, principally using it for the longer musings and paper-summaries that I really will be getting around to at some point this summer. But I know what it's like to be out of the Facebook Loop, so I won't neglect the occasional life-update post (and of course there's always email). We'll see if using Facebook motivates me to be more diligent in coming up with substantive posts. (Stop snickering! It could happen!)
See you in the 'Book. :-)
Labels: Life update

4 Comments:
Ha! I win. You lose.
He may lose, but this post wins. Enjoy your Pyrrhic victory, Wilson.
I'm glad you liked it, Jared.
But the biggest "contest" (if we're calling them that) remains undecided.
That being the other "plunge" to which I alluded, of course. ;-)
Manipulative writing, scaring some of us into thinking that you were quitting your blog and casting off all your friends - I mean, all your distant indirect acquaintances - like some people we know...
Please don't quit your blog, though we all know how Facebook is so admirably suited to extended substantive thought.
Post a Comment
<< Home