Breather
I just finished writing my last paper of the semester. (It's on the causal pairing problem, in case you're curious. It'll probably wind up as a Summary Post, when I get around to doing more of those.)
I still have several weeks of school, with regular logic homework and two final exams, but this is a huge weight off my back. Maybe I can start catching up on sleep now. Maybe that'll help with some of the other stressors. I hope.
Mmmm, sleep. ^_^
Labels: School

5 Comments:
Wow, that's really awesome. I'll try not to hold the fact that it tried to make my head explode against it.
Have you, by any chance, been watching Joss Whedon's new show "Dollhouse"? Because, it struck me that (particularly in light of the season finale, which I just watched a few nights ago), the pairing problem is exactly what the show is all about.
Yeah, sorry about that; I really ought to put cranial detonation warnings on those links (guess that's why "professional" philosophers have so much training). :-p
I've not watched "Dollhouse," but I'm roughly familiar with the basic premise. Science fiction likes to play with philosophical concepts, and phil-mind seems particularly popular. (What is the self? How would a transporter interact with an immaterial soul? How could telepathy, psychokinesis, and similar abilities work? Are incorporeal "energy beings" possible? Forty-two?)
Yeah, except "Dollhouse" seems to have come to the conclusion, in the finale, that there is an individual "self" located in the body, but apart from the mind. Sort of. It's really interesting stuff, and a pretty decent show. I hope they don't discontinue it.
That is interesting. They say "located in the body"; are we talking about a soul, or some physical component of the body? Or are they still working that out?
Either way, I can imagine some interesting developments (separating the mind and the soul vs. identifying the "self" with a particular body part).
They're still kind of working a lot of that stuff out. The season basically ended after introducing the idea that there is some essential component that constitutes the actual "self" which is in no way connected to the mind, i.e. memories, consciousness, etc. That something seems to be housed within the body in a way that makes the body itself more than a mere "vessel" of the self . . . but yeah. Still working out the ramifications of all that.
Post a Comment
<< Home